Who We Are, What We Do, and Our Accessible Property
The Tupperville School Museum is located in a one-room country schoolhouse that was built circa 1869. The school was originally situated further up the road toward Round Hill but was moved to location that was closer to the centre of the Tupperville village. Unfortunately, this new location meant school children needed to cross the road to play in the pasture near the river and so in 1884, for safety’s sake, the land across the road from the school was purchased for $20.00. The school was then moved to its present location.
The Museum contains original teacher and students’ desks, a pot-bellied stove, school registers, class photos, and the school library.
There is also a permanent exhibit of crafts by Mi'kmaq artist, Louis Jeremy, who lived in the woods near Tupperville Falls and whose artefacts are highly regarded.
For over 100 years, school masters and school marms, through their dedication and skill, provided hundreds of students with a valuable education until the school was in closed 1970, at which time there were nine students. In 1972, the school house building was opened for B.A.S.H. (Bridgetown and Area Summer Homecoming) and the then Nova Scotia Premier, Gerald Regan, suggested it be turned into a museum. With a lot of community effort, the Tupperville School became the Tupperville School Museum.
Today, with the continuing support of our community and dedicated volunteers, the Museum continues to operate in one of the last remaining one-room school house museums in Nova Scotia.
Our mission is to contribute to the understanding and enduring awareness of the Indigenous, Acadian, and settler cultural heritages in the local Tupperville and broader Annapolis Valley regions.
The Tupperville School Museum will continue to be a local cultural hub, providing experiences that enrich the understanding of the Indigenous, Acadian, and settler heritage in the Annapolis Valley.
Around the Museum Property
Our property is accessible year round for family and other social gatherings. Our picnic tables are a great place to have some of our home-made ice cream and watch a show on our outdoor stage before going for a walk in the Acadian forest and onward down to the Harvest Moon Trailway.
The only accessible washroom on the Blue Route Bike Trail between Bridgetown and Annapolis Royal.
We have a variety of yummy home-made ice creams including our very special ginger flavoured ice cream.
Accessible Picnic tables
Because we believe everyone should be able to enjoy gathering as a family at the table.
Easy walking distance to the Harvest Moon Trailway.
The museum is about 500 metres away from the Trailway, which runs (walks?) from Grand Pre to Annapolis Royal